Iíve been dreaming of creating an amazing vegan and gluten free chocolate chip cookie for a very long time. Like many, I had mastered the classic Toll House cookie recipe on the back of the semi-sweet package and made them frequently throughout the early years of my sonís childhood. Every time we made these cookies together, we would declare in unison,
ďI think that this batch of chocolate chip cookies are the very best we have made-ever!Ē giggling at our deliberate intention.
And our cookie mantra made it so.
When my book THE PLANTPOWER WAY- 120 family plant based recipes + lifestyle guidance, came to completion, it was without a recipe for my beloved cookie. But why?
The inspiration just hadnít arrived nor the technique been given. Sometimes life is like that. We have to wait for divine timing.
Let me duly note however that being a lover of the sweet, THE PLANTPOWER WAY, does have many many many amazing desserts: Strawberry Mint Cacao Pie, Chia Lime Pie, Peanut Butter Cookies, Mexican Brownies, Coconut Ginger Ice Cream and moreÖ
Back In my kitchen lab last week, I was experimenting with heirloom, ancient, gluten free and very low gluten variety fours. On the experimental deck was a bread loaf recipe of two varieties. I was dreaming of a carrot coconut loaf, and a banana chip loaf.
As I started to mix the wet ingredients into the dry of the banana chip loaf mix, I suddenly looked down and recognized the perfect chocolate chip cookie dough had miraculously appeared. I immediately called out to my sous chef- ďHey Jules! This has become the perfect cookie dough! Iím switching up the sugar from white to brown and letís add more vanilla!ď
The result was heavenly. And my boys now age 18 and 20 devoured them. Every last one. Happy accidents in the kitchen are part of the fun in creating. The universe fulfilled my desire when I wasnít looking. I love that
This recipe certainly will go into an upcoming future book on baked goods after some tweaking and testing. We are still in the lab so itís not completely perfected. But I donít want you to have to wait to try this.
Drum Roll. Here it is
THE BEST CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE EVER!
These cookies are extremely low in gluten as I have mixed four flours together, three which are gluten free and one that has very low gluten. I find by using these heirloom flours, bananas, dates and organic ingredients you will feel the increased vitality in them. Don't eat a whole plate but do enjoy one or twoÖ
Experiment with making different size cookies and see how the texture, and chewiness differs. Also as with all gluten free or low gluten baked goods. They are best removed from the cookie sheet when still slightly warm. Let them cool for 7 minutes and then using a spatula, carefully slide them from the sheet to a plate.
2 tablespoons Egg Replacer
3 tablespoons water
4 dates soaked for 30 minutes and pitted
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup khorasan ( low gluten heirloom grain flour)
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup quinoa flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 ripe bananas
1 packed cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup water
1 cup of vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. oil a cookie sheet with coconut oil. Set aside.
3. Prepare the egg replacer according to package directions. You could alternatively use make ground flax seed eggs by using 3 tablespoons flax seeds to 6 tablespoons water. Using a wire wisk, mix and set aside for a few minutes until they become egg-like in consistency.
4. In a small bowl, put the dates in filtered water and soak for 30 minutes. Then remove the dates and place into a high speed blender along with 1/4 cup water. Now add the ripe bananas and process until smooth.
5. In a large bowl sift together all the dry ingredients: sorghum, khorasan, white rice, and quinoa flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
6. In an electric mixer, mix together all the wet ingredients, egg replacer or flax seed eggs, vanilla, date/banana mixture, brown sugar, and coconut oil. Using the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until well incorporated.
7. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in increments of 1/2 cup until the dough starts to form.
8. If needed, add in 1/4 cup of water to achieve a drop cookie dough consistency.
9. Fold in the chocolate chips.
10. Drop cookies onto the cookie sheet in 2 tablespoon size pieces. Bake for ten minutes or until slightly brown around the edges.
For less sugary cookies, cut the brown sugar to 1/2 cup.
Click below to preorder my book THE PLANTPOWER WAY 120 recipes + family and lifestyle guidance that I created with my soul mate and husband, Rich Roll
Join us on Thunderclap and be a part of spreading the word about THE PLANTPOWER WAY https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/24100-join-theplantpowerway
WE ARE GIVING AWAY TWO FREE VITAMIX MACHINES THIS WEEK and FIVE MEMBERSHIPS TO HEADSPACE.
If you like what you see, donít forget to subscribe at http://www.srimati.com
and let me feed you, THE PLANTPOWER WAY.
PEACE + PLANTS + NAMASTE